Redknapp reveals extent of Portsmouth abuse
2009-10-16 - Added by
Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has revealed the full extent of the abuse he was subjected to from some Portsmouth fans after leaving the club for the White Hart Lane hotseat 12 months ago.
'Arassed 'Arry returns to Fratton Park with Spurs on Saturday and might anticipate a hostile reception, but has denied reports that he will employ his own security staff for the game, while insisting he did nothing but good for the club.
Redknapp told of the horrific abuse he received in the days after quitting Pompey last year, but not without stressing that he expects a calm response on Saturday from the fans he maintains are 'absolutely fantastic'.
"The day I left Portsmouth I got some horrific phone calls, saying things I would not want to repeat, from so-called supporters," he told the Daily Mail.
"It makes you ill when you think about some members of the human race, because some people can say awful things. The proper Portsmouth fans are absolutely fantastic.
"When you receive calls like I did, it's awful but you cannot let the nutters beat you. Most people are fantastic.
"Whatever happens will not affect me but I hope they don't spoil that reputation. I'm confident that won't happen."
Redknapp claims he was surprised by the reaction of some Pompey fans, who were in a minority, considering the affluent position in which he left the club, having also led Pompey to the FA Cup last year.
'Arry ultimately took up the Spurs job offer as he saw them as the biggest club he was ever likely to get the chance to manage, and despite all he did for Portsmouth, some fans still felt let down.
"All I did for Pompey was leave them with a group of very good players and make them money in the transfer market.
"We won promotion, kept them in the Premier League, made them into a good top-flight side and won the FA Cup. What did I do wrong?"